Forum

Welcome to our forum. This forum has been set up to discuss ideas pertaining to “The study of living language: The SFL conception of text/context relations”. Instructions:

1. To reply to a forum topic click on the title of the topic

2. To create a new topic click on New.

[forum:5231]

2 thoughts on “Forum

1. Since Annabelle has presented herself to us in this course, I would like to present myself.
    My name is Renate Walder and I’m from Switzerland. I’m interested in grammar and I’ve written my PhD thesis on about the Swedish verb föra (Focus on föra – the semantics and valency of functional verb structures in Swedish, with special emphasis on the verb föra). Unfortunately, I wasn’t aware of SFL when I was doing my research or I would have integrated SFL in my thesis. I’ve learned about SFL via David Rose and his Reading to Learn project. Since then I’ve dabbled in SFL. I’m still trying to learn the ropes and understand the theory.
    I’ve lived and worked in Sweden, but now I’m back in Switzerland. My hope is to be able to spread the word about SFL, because SFL is not well known in the German speaking part of Europe. Spreading the word would mean “translating” SFL: translating the terminology but also adapting the theory to German grammar. Fortunately, I don’t have to do this on my own. There is a Danish scholar who has worked on a German version of SFL. Hopefully, I’ll be able to assist him in some way.

I’m really looking forward to this course, because it deals with some fundamental questions. I’m somewhat behind on my course work because I was away for a couple of days, but I’ve read “The Problem of Meaning in Primitive Languages”, and I was fascinated. Malinowskis thoughts would have fit perfectly in my thesis! Now I’m eager to find out how exactly Malinowskis ideas where used in SFL.

2. Hi Renate
    Thanks for posting; I am hoping some more of those following and attending the face to face sessions will also post an introduction.
    On your question about Malinowski, we will be discussing this question at the start of our session on Friday, so I hope that maybe some of the attendees might post some discussion of it. I am struck more and more by how profound his influence has been on Firth and then on Halliday.
    Bye for now
    Annabelle